Summer Cooking Camps 2017
This summer is packed full of three different themed camps! The ideas behind these camps are fun ideas that kids and families can make throughout the summer for cookout nights, with farmers market finds, and some really fun summer baking treats. We will use classic recipes consciously made with health in mind, from scratch while using unrefined sugars and fresh ingredients. The camps offered will be five different weeks.
- Week 1 - "I Heart Baking" - June 12th-15th
- Week 2 - "Farm to Table" - June 19th-22nd
- Week 3 - "Summer Cookout Essentials" - July 10th-13th
- Week 4 - "Farm to Table" - July 24th-27th (CLOSED)
- Week 5 - "I Heart Baking" - August 7th-10th
I Heart Baking:
I love baking. More importantly, I love baking healthfully. When I use unprocessed ingredients and unrefined sugars not only do I think it tastes better, but I don’t feel as bad indulging myself! ☺ So this camp will include all fresh ground, whole grains and some gluten free items as well. This will be such a fun camp for someone who wants to learn some more technical skills for their baking arsenal. Some recipes we will explore will be:
- Strawberry Cake with whipped frosting, decorated with fresh flowers on top (So pretty!)
- Rainbow Cake, all using foods to dye the cake batters. Topped/filled with cream cheese frosting
- Whole grain buttery pie crust
- Galettes and Hand pies
- Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing
- Whole Grain Soft Pretzels
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cup Cakes with Dairy Free Icing, sweetened with dates (GF)
- Coconut Macaroons (GF)
Farm to Table:
All recipes for this camp will use ingredients that you can find at our local farmer’s market! There are so amazing local farmers around here, with some great products. This camp will give great ideas as to how you can use some of the wonderful fruits, veggies, and other products at the market and help support some farmers! The recipe ideas will depend on what's available at the farmer's market the weekend before each camp. Some of my ideas include:
- Easy Refrigerator Pickles
- Salsa three ways: Corn Salsa, Pico de Gallo or a red salsa, and/or salsa verde
- Zucchini Bread
- Carrot Cake
- Apple Crisp
- Stir Fry with Rice
- Cobb Salad using hard boiled eggs from farmers market; pastured pork bacon
- Fresh Jam and canning with a fruit that’s available
- Ricotta Cheese made from milk fresh from the farm
Summer Cookout Essentials:
My idea behind this camp is building on fun ideas that kids and families can make throughout the summer for BBQ nights, church picnics, and on our hot Oklahoma days. These would be classic recipes (main dishes, sides, desserts, etc.) but made more healthfully by through preparing them from scratch and using unrefined sugars and fresh ingredients.
- Homemade Brats/Hotdogs
- Rainbow Slaw
- Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo, BBQ Sauce
- Strawberry Sorbet Ice Cream
- Pistachio Pudding from scratch
- Fruit Pizza
- Summer Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing
- Dreamscicle Shakes
- Fresh Soda pop
The cost for each camp is $120 per child enrolled, 50% payment is due at time of registration to hold your spot.
- This includes a recipe binder and apron that will be yours to keep after the week of camp is finished, and also everything your child will need to participate in the camp.
All camps will be open to ages 6 and older.
Each camp will be held from 1:30pm-4:00pm during the scheduled dates. The address for the camp is given out upon registration.
Interested? Fill out the following form... :)