Right now I'm doing a digestive cleanse where I can't have any grains, nuts, or sugar. I know... it's hard. BUT, there are so many wonderful grain free and gluten free ingredients and ways to still enjoy your eating. These pancakes may now be my favorite pancakes! Over the years I've really grown to love cooking with blueberries. But there is something else about these pancakes that is my favorite thing. Since I also am not doing any sweeteners or sugars other than found in fruits, that means no honey or maple syrup either. That means I'm learning to eat and love DATES!! What an amazing fruit it is! I came across this Date Syrup by "The Date Lady" and I've been using it for lots of things!!
Atop pancakes and waffles, in coconut cream for a sweet dipping treat, in my tea, and to sweeten my sons birthday cake. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! If you are into natural sugars and sweetening naturally you need to go buy some today. (I am not being paid to say this. :)) My other favorite new find is this super creamy coconut milk/cream. It's the So Delicious brand and it's called "Culinary Coconut Milk". I guess because it's "culinary" is why it comes so creamy and soft.
It doesn't really require refrigeration in order to whip well bc it is already fluffy when it comes out of the container. If you have any experience with coconut cream, then you know that normally you find it in a can. This comes in one of those cardboard containers (SUCH a plus since those are always BPA free already) and is so thick and soft from the beginning. Not hard like the cream of the canned versions.
All this to say, I made a coconut whipped cream, sweetened with date syrup to put ontop of these amazing pancakes. Let me tell you, it was so good!! This recipe is a must try, just as it is written. I hope you try them and enjoy them as much as I have been!
For the Pancakes
- 2 TBL flaxseed meal
- 6 TBL coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp real salt
- 4 eggs (you can just more flax seed meal mixed with water for an egg replacer to make these vegan)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries
- coconut oil or butter when cooking
For the Coconut Cream
- 5.5 oz of the culinary coconut cream (about half the container)
- 2-3 TBL date syrup (more or less depending on how sweet you like it)
1. Make your coconut cream first by putting both ingredients in a medium size bowl.
2. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream for 2-3 mins or until desired consistency.
3. Set aside while you make the pancakes.
4. Put all the pancake ingredients besides the blueberries in a large bowl. Whisk them by hand or with a hand mixer until smooth.
5. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Cook on a cast iron skillet over a medium heat.
**Pro Tip: I have found that when cooking gluten free pancakes, it works better to cook them slower. So use a lower heat to ensure that you cook the outside and the inside at the same time. If you cook them too quickly on the outside, the inside will be mushy and not cooked through.
7. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of coconut cream and more date syrup over that!