One of my favorite comfort food has got to be King Ranch Chicken! I love most things tex-mex so this is obviously right up my alley. I came up with this recipe one day when I was planning to make the traditional King Ranch Chicken for dinner. Of course as I have the chicken layer prepped and ready, I go to my fridge to find my corn tortillas, and there are only 2. TWO!! That is not enough to make three layers of the casserole I was dying to dig into. What was I going to do?? I couldn't run to the store before dinner because no store close was gauranteed to have organic corn tortillas (and corn is one of the ingredients I never compromise on. If its not organic corn then it's almost always GMO).
So, I decided to improvise! I was using my cast iron pan so I adjusted the recipe to add more cream of chicken soup and more cheese. I torn up the two tortillas I did have into bit sized pieces, mixed them into the chicken mixture, crumbled some corn chips on top, added some more shredded cheese on top and popped it in oven! That night we ate our King Ranch Chicken by dipping chips into it and it was as tasty as ever! Plus my boys love anything that allows them to eat chips! This is great for a family meal or a dip to share at a football party or any gathering. Enjoy!
King Ranch Filling:
2 - 2 ½ cups shredded chicken (I use 1/2 of a whole chicken)
3 cups cream of chicken soup (recipe to follow - I always make my own. SUPER easy)
1 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup diced onion (any color will do)
2 TBL butter
2 cups shredded cheese (divided)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 corn tortillas
1 cup frozen organic corn (optional)
corn chips for crumbling
Cream of Chicken Soup:
1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk or cream
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400*.
- Make your cream of chicken soup and set aside.
- Put all ingredients in a small pot. Whisk well to combine the liquid and the flour. Cook over a medium to medium/low heat for about 5 mins, until thickened. Stir often to prevent flour settling on the bottom and burning. Once thick, taste and add seasonings to your liking.
- In a 9 inch cast iron pan, melt butter and add chopped onions. Cook onions until soft, about 7-8 mins.
- Add tomatoes and stir, cooking for 2 mins more.
- Add the corn, if using.
- Add shredded chicken, torn corn tortillas and spices. Stir well to combine and coat all the ingredients with the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Let cook for 4-5 mins until everything is warm throughout.
- Add in the cream of chicken soup and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Mix well to combine well.
- Crumble up corn chips and sprinkle them on top.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Put the whole cast iron pan in the oven. Cook for 20-30 mins, until bubbly.
- Serve plain or eat with chips as a dip (my favorite option :))
For a hands on demonstration, come to my next Adult + Child event class to learn this recipe and more! Check out the Special Events page for details and registration!